Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Swimming training progam. Some questions?

I found this beginner swimming program on the net and it sounds pretty good. I have no reference point on the distance since I have never really swam before and am in pretty poor shape. I'd love to read some comments from some folks that have some swimming experience. One thing, do you thing that 700 meters is too long to start out? Maybe I should cut week 1 in half and do 350 meters. Anyway, have a look.

WEEK one (Three Days):
100 yards...rest for 12 breaths...repeat 3 times.
50 yards...rest for 8 breaths...repeat 3 times.
25 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times.
total: 700 yards

WEEK two:
200 yards...rest for 12 breaths
100 yards...rest for 10 breaths...repeat 3 times
50 yards...rest for 6 breaths...repeat 3 times
25 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times
total: 900 yards

WEEK three:
400 yards...rest for 12 breaths
100 yards...rest for 8 breaths...repeat 3 times
50 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 5 times
25 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 5 times
total: 1250 yards

WEEK four:
600 yards...rest for 10 breaths
300 yards...rest for 8 breaths
100 yards...rest for 6 breaths...repeat 3 times
50 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times
total: 1500 yards

WEEK five:
1000 yards...rest for 8 breaths
100 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times
50 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times
total: 1600 yards

WEEK six (days 1 and 2):
1200 yards...rest for 6 breaths
100 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times
50 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times
(day 3)
1650 yards straight
total: 1650 yards!

What do you think?

9 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

I know nothing about swimming, so I can't offer any feedback or advice other than good luck! I am planning to take lessons later this month, so maybe then I can help. By the way, about your post yesterday...we are ofter our own worst critic. Don't be so hard on yourself! You are running and making strides in the right direction! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Vic,

Ain't no way this is for a first time swimmer. Think back to the Superstars competitions in the 70's. Joe Frazier was in and was obviously in terrific shape. He entered the swimming, made it 25 yards, turned around, made it 12 yards and sank to the bottom of the pool. Done!

Swimming is all about technique. In my first time program we did no swimming at all for a couple of weeks, just stationary drills. Then you move around a bit while drilling. Then you swim a bit. And I was competing in tri's at the time!

Lastly, running fitness translates poorly to swimming fitness. You might well do 25 yards, or 50 yards and be totally zapped. 700 yards to start is unrealistic.

You might want to talk to Jessica or Sarah about the swim programs they're currently in.

Steve

Unknown said...

Thanks, Steve. I'll talk to Sarah or Jess.

Emily said...

I agree, Vic - it does look a bit ambitious. It'll probably be a good challenge for you to swim even 25-50 yds straight. My beginning swimmers typically can do 25 yds and rest for a few seconds at each wall when first learning each stroke and try to build up first to swimming 50 straight and then 100. The biggest hurdle truly is technique - once you have a nice efficient stroke and get your breathing down you'll probably improve pretty quickly, but those two things will take some time.

You might want to look into the Total Immersion program.

(by the way - it's me, mini)

Unknown said...

I know it's you Em.

Sarah said...

Ok, now I read this entry after the one above. I'll email you a couple of the beginner workouts I have -- the shortest is 400 yards, which would be good to start with. If you're not comfortable with even that far, cut it to 200 yards and start working up.

I'm lucky that I grew up on the swim team and don't have much trouble doing endless laps. A friend, though, started swimming with me about 2 years ago. At first, she looked more like she was FIGHTING the water than gliding through it. She was HORRIBLE! But two years later, she can pretty much keep up with me! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Sarah. I'm definitely like your friend. I keep fighting the water but it doesn't fight back. I keep hitting and slapping and kicking and nothing but shortness of breath. The water is still standing. I'm on my back.

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me the link?

Thanks.

Unknown said...

Sorry, I don't know remember the link.