Wednesday, August 31, 2005

9/31 Struggle

Today's 1.75 miles were a real struggle. The first real struggle since returning to the track. First of all, the heat and humidity were oppressive. Absolutely no breeze. It was the hottest I've felt all summer. Secondly, these new shoes are really putting some different stresses on my ankle. It really hurt a lot today. Now, lastly, I really wasn't a good boy. One of my training strategies is the hard/easy philosophy. I always follow a hard day with an easy one. Well, yesterday was definitely one of the hardest days I've put in since coming back. I ran 2 miles in new shoes and then lifted weights at the gym. I did some calf work with very light weights and worked out my ankle pretty thoroughly. This was the first time I've done any kind of full range-of-motion resistance on the ankle since the surgery (besides some isometric stuff sitting on the couch). Today definitely should have been a total rest day. Thinking about it now, this is so uncharacteristic of me as I am usually what most would consider overly-cautious (probably just cautious enough!) with my training and especially my ankle rehab. I'll definitely reign in the enthusiasm and go back to my conservative roots.

Stats (not really worth mentioning):
Distance: 1.75 miles
Time: 32:04 (I was barely moving by the end)
Outlook for the future: Positive!!!

No comments: