Sunday, August 14, 2005

SLSD

You probably know what LSD is. It stands for Long Slow Distance. Well, for emphasis today, I'm calling my run SLSD...SLOW Long Slow Distance.

I made my way to the park with intentions of completing week 3/day 3 of Couch-to-5K. Upon arrival, I realized I did not have my trusty, dandy chronograph to time the intervals. So, I decided to freelance it, which btw I should do more often. I definitely need to let go once in a while of all the structure with splits, pace, heart rate, all those things that I "worry" about when I'm running and just run. I like that stuff though most of the time. So, my plan was was to just do some unstructured jog/walk intervals, keeping it conversational. I ended up just slowing way, way down and running continuously for 1.2 miles (according to Gmaps Pedometer). By the way, I love this web app. It uses the google gmaps and has a plug-in that you can use to calculate the mileage of a route. I've used it to measure some known distances and it's dead-on. Anyway, I did slow way, way down and completed the out and back in record time (record slow time). It was the first continuous run of any mentionable distance since my surgery 13 weeks ago. I think I'm gonna be ready for PIM.

So, here's a link to my route if you want to see. Zoom out for perspective on the part of Houston I'm running in.

Link to my route today.

vic

3 comments:

Dais said...

Hey... great job! You're running more than me and I have no "injury excuses"... well other than my lack of meniscus! ;)

magenpie said...

Slow is alright man, just keep going! :)

Tiggs said...

hey cool! last night i did my first running drill- I am allowed to do one mile running for 30, 60 then 90 seconds and walking 30 seoncds between each one. Slow and short, but better than nothing.