Thursday, August 25, 2005

2 miles at Memorial (Distance PR!) - 'the groove'

I love the nights off work because after a good night's sleep, I get to run in the morning, at the beginning of the day. I love mornings so much.

Had breakfast around 5:30, cereal, milk, and a turkey sausage patty. I decided instead of hitting the track early that I would stick around and help Jan get the kids off to school, sweet, thoughtful husband that I am. After helping out with breakfast, getting the kid's clothes together, 'encouraging' them to hurry up, Jan tells me that my being here 'messed her routine up and now she's running late.' She was being funny, not mean, of course. But my being there made her relax a bit, not hustling like she usually does, making herself late getting ready for work. Funny, huh?

So, I dropped my 4th grader (Stephanie) off and headed over to Memorial Park. After a good stretch routine I set out counter-clockwise from the front of the tennis center. The ankle felt slightly painful walking to the start but once I started, the pain subsided to a 1 or 2 out of 10. We think about a lot of wierd things when we run, or at least I do. I began to think about that little groove that is to the far outside of the Memorial trail. I loved running in 'the groove' this morning. It brought back memories of my first running days, about this same time last year. I thought of how heavy I was back then (still am) and how I just had to stay to the right, out of everyone's way. I remember that being ok with me, that if I stuck with it, I'd one day have to leave 'the groove' and actually pass someone. Still, there's something humbling about running in 'the groove'. It makes me thankful to God just to be out and in motion, like He created me to be. When I'm in 'the groove' it's not about the speed or the distance. It's just a peaceful time. There's peace in knowing I don't have to pass anyone. There's inspiration in seeing so many pass me. I had a great time.

So, a new comeback PR for distance, 2 miles. I really think for a while (maybe the next 2 weeks) that 2 miles is just the right amount of stress for the ankle. I really think anymore would be pushing the limits. Also, after 2 miles, I don't think it wise to run the next day. I'm really going to take at least the next day off, maybe the next 2 days. Today's 2 miles helped me, though, as I'm testing my limits, listening to my body, and trying to plan my future training. I think I'm going to take off Friday and Saturday and do another 2 miles on Sunday morning. I'm off work Saturday night so it'll be fun. Then next week, I'll probably do 1.5 Tuesday, 1.5 Wednesday, maybe walk on Friday, and do 2 or 2.5 on Saturday or Sunday. Of course all my runs for the next 6 months or so will be at a conversational pace. Power in Motion (PIM) starts the following Wednesday and I think I'll be ready to join one of the easier groups. I'll have to get with Pam or Lisa and see what group they recommend. I'm running 2 miles continuously but at a very slow pace. They may want me to join one of the run/walk groups and go a little faster. Personally, I think the continuous running, however slow it is, if I can do it, is best. I may be waaaayyyy in the back of the pack but if I've already worked up to 2 miles continuous running, I don't see how walk/run would be better for me. Acutally, come to think about it, this is pretty much where I was last year when I started PIM, able to run continuously for about 25 minutes at about 15:00 - 15:30 pace. I'll just see what they say.

Here are the stats for this morning's run:
Distance: 2 miles (comeback PR!)
Total time: 31:52
Avg. pace: 15:56
Mile 1: 15:36 (comeback PR!)
Mile 2: 16:16
So far this week: 4.8 miles (comeback PR!)
Weekly avg pace: 16:08 (comeback PR!)
Link to my route: 2 miles Memorial Park

Oh, by the way, I re-learned something today. Visit the men's room before you start your run. :)

2 comments:

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

haha, yeah it helps to hit the facilites before ANY run!
-jessica

Tiggs said...

ok, so I think I may join Striders and do PIM. You're ahead of me right now- I have yet to do 2 continuous miles, but I'm hoping to change that this week. I don't know if they will let me join, but I'm gonna check into it.