Thursday, September 15, 2005

Podium, lectern, or pulpit?

I know this does not at all fit into the description that I published for this blog but I just have to get this off my chest.

At the front of my biology classroom at UHD, as in most classrooms, there sits a podium where the professor stands to teach the subject at hand. At least that's what simple ol' me calls it. In this particular class, however, the professor refers to the podium by its 'proper name', lectern. I'm so tired of his saying that word. "Please pick up the handout from the lectern. As you pass by the lectern, please ..." It's certainly not that I am averse to the word. It's just that this professor really bugs me. Let me tell why."

This is supposed to be a biology class. Moreover, this is supposed to be a university where students come not just to learn facts but to start to really learn how to learn. It really annoys me, though, when professors use the podium (or lectern) to preach their worldview in a manner that denigrates others. I won't get into the specifics (maybe another time and another blog) but this professor presented a list on a transparancy of 'irrefutable facts.' These are facts that have been 'proven' and 'we can at least agree on these.' Well, one of the irrefutable facts was 'the earth is 4.5 billion years old.' Then this guy starts to talk about how for so many years, Judeo-Christian ideas 'clouded and confused' the truth about life and the universe. I think he even took a couple of less than thoughtful shots at Republicans. I think it does a disservice to students, especially younger ones, to not encourage discourse and thinking and to be so close-minded and dogmatic. Usually, Christians are the ones being accused of this.

I have a new word for his lectern. PULPIT!!!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally agree. I had a prof in college who, on the first day when he presented the syllabus, also mentioned that his office door was open anytime we needed him, whether for class or just to talk about our problems and/or our lives, because God is here to help.

Thankfully he stuck to aeroelasticity after that.

Unknown said...

I agree too.
As a biology student, I've been taught to accept nothing without question. Not to mention that it's wrong to challenge people's faith in a classroom, it's just bad science.

Keith.

P.S. good luck with your recovery.

El Oso Furioso said...

Well put. When I was in school I paid tuition to find out what the professor knew, not what he thought. If I wanted to know what they thought, I'd buy them lunch.