Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What's wrong with you people?

Not you! I'm talking to the chefs and restaurant managers out there who insist on thwarting EVERY attempt I make to eat right. For the second time in a row, I've ordered what COULD have been a good, lowfat meal but when it came out, it was prepared without the health-conscious in mind.

I visited one of my favorite restaurants today, Papadeaux's, with my mom for lunch. I was going to be good, for sure. I ordered a cup of seafood gumbo and the lunch portion of grilled catfish. And I sub'd mixed vegetables for the dirty rice. Well, when the fish arrived, it was grilled alright. But it had about 2 tablespoons of garlic butter melted over the top of it. I didn't want to send it back so I "soaked" up all the butter with my napkin. The thing about it was the damage was done. The fish had soaked up much of the butter. Unbelieveable. A guy just can't catch a break. Anyway, the fish was scrumptious and I'm glad I didn't get the dinner portion with even MORE butter. I've got to learn to spell it out to the waitress. "I-M O-N A D-I-E-T!!! No butter. Nothing fried. Nothing with sugar. Only grilled. Got it?

4 comments:

J~Mom said...

I know exactly what you mean!! I have had that happen with cheese on salads when there is no mention of cheese anywhere on the description. :<(

Tiggs said...

yeh I was gonna say- I ask a lot of questions about the food and how it is prepared..and then ask them to leave off anything that is too unhealthy. They usually don't seem to mind unless they are super busy.

Sarah said...

I love getting the sweet potato as a side at Texas Roadhouse, but if you don't specify "plain", it comes smothered in butter and cinnamon. You just have to tell the waitress to leave off all the extras, or at least put them on the side so you can control how much you use.

Anonymous said...

That gumbo was probably way worse than the fish. Gumbo is LOADED with flour and then of course the rice, and depending on the type of meat in there, you got that fat as well (they don't skin the chicken before putting in the pot).

Stay away from places like this unless you plan to either a) have something you want and don't care or b) have salad and a glass of unsweetened tea.