Friday, July 13, 2007

Peek-a-boo!

I ended my blog entry yesterday morning with the intention of getting out to get my 3 miles in before it got too hot. Well, I got out and did it but not before it was WAY TOO HOT!!!

Mile 1 went quite well. Again, I felt good and loose and went out comfortably but too fast given the conditions. A solid, conversational 13:19. The next half of mile 2, I remained steady but soon started to fade under the intense heat. For a half mile, I played peek-a-boo with the cloud cover, walking when the sun was out, and running when the sun was hidden. It was brutal.

I decided I'd run the last mile but after just a couple hundred yards, I was done and I slowed to a brisk walk. Bad news? Not really. An interesting thing happened. I was watching the Garmin and noticed that I was walking quite a bit faster than I had in the past. I can't remember every being able to walk any faster than around 20 minutes/mile, maybe 19 m/m at the fastest. Well, I hit the lap counter to see how quickly I could walk the remainder of mile 3. Turned out, I quite easily maintained a 17:30 pace. I know, I know. That's very, very slow but for me, it was a pleasant surprise to know that I've picked up my walking that much. I think it has a lot to do with the recent weight loss and working on my flexibility.

So, the question is do I include that last mile 3 in my "running" log? I think............so! Yes. I will. Actually, the effort I put into that last mile was just about what an easy mile would have been, running in normal conditions.

No normal stats. I just did the 3 miles in about 45 minutes. That's about 15:20 pace. I'm definitely going to get smart next week and do some wee hour running. I'm kind of glad it's a cutback week.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I HAAAAAAAAATE running in the heat. It is inescapable here in Guam! It is amazing how it just zaps your energy and makes things so much harder. I want snow!!!! LOL

Pat said...

I'd count that mile too. I'm trying everything to get my miles in during the summer. Running early, running late, running in the pool, you name it.

pat