Tuesday, August 29, 2006

3 miles 'cause the training plan is a guideline!

The Katy Fit training plan called for 35 minutes easy yesterday and 45 minute hill workout tonight. I had every intention to run yesterday but life got in the way (DW had to work late, like really late). I also had every intention of doing hills tonight at the Hwy. 6 levee but just did not feel like doing that in this heat. Since the training plan is a guideline, I had no problem doing 3 easy miles this afternoon at Memorial Park. I sure hope this "the training plan is a guideline" doesn't come back to bite me in the rear. :)

Well, it was hot! But I really ran well, IMO! Here are the splits:

Mile 1 - 14:26
Mile 2 - 14:53 (I ran a little through the inner dirt trail and through the woods)
Mile 3 - 14:24
Total time - 43:44
Avg HR - ~85%

Around the 2.2 mark, I heard a voice say, "Vic Kaiser?" It was Steve Schroeder. I met Steve briefly before but did not recognize him. He said his name was Steve Schroeder and the bells went off. Anyway, Steve is recovering from an injury and volunteered to run with me slowly the last .8 or so. What a nice guy. We talked about running, a little bit about family, dieting, smoothies, and racing. It makes all the differenc in the world when I run with someone. I really felt good the last mile as I would have surely bonked in the heat had I gone it alone. Steve, I sure appreciate your running a little with me and it was great to talk to you.

The other pleasant surprise was seeing Sam as he zoomed past me. I forgot that Sam had grown his hair a little and I would not have recognized him had Steve not said, "Here comes Sam Rodriguez." Anyway, great to see Sam in a blur. Look forward to sitting down and talking to you soon, Sam.

So, for right now, I'm just taking what my body will give me. I'm talking more and more to friends about putting the full off and just doing some shorter races through the Fall. I haven't made my decision. I'm still going to wait for the 10-miler and half and cooler weather to see how it goes. But I'm going to be patient and enjoy this ride for a very long time, hopefully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vic,
It was good to finally meet you. Your last .8 was the last mile of my 8 mile run on a leg recovering from a stress fracture. I knew you were headed to the house and would need a push. It is amazing what the body can do when the mind is distracted. Keep up the good effort and results will be yours.
SteveS

Sam said...

Vic,

It was good to see you too. Always good to catch a familiar face when out for a run. Keep up the great work man....

...and becareful with the "guideline" stuff. :P Don't let it bite ya.

Sam

Anonymous said...

Running with someone else is always better as far as I'm concerned! That's so cool you ran into everybody and their brother on that run.