Monday, December 25, 2006

Gathering information

About an hour before a house full of family and friends were due to arrive for Christmas dinner, I decided to go on a little fact finding mission. I donned the cold weather running gear and took off out the front door for a little spin.

I figured one of two things would happen. Either I'd end up after a couple of miles with the same pain that cheated me of my 21 miler on Saturday or I'd feel relief. Although I knew it was still there, the pain in my abs didn't bother my run at all. It was a short recover run at an easy pace but it was a good test. If nothing else, it gives me a little more information to take to the doctor when I visit tomorrow (hopefully).

Total distance - 2.0 miles
Splits - 13:25 / 13:28

That brings me to another minor problem. I don't have a doctor!!! Besides Koala and my podiatrist, I don't really have a doctor. I have a physical exam done every year at the Memorial Hermann Wellness Center but as far as a GP or Family Practice doctor, I don't have a clue who to call. And do I go to a GP for this ab problem or to an orthopaedic? I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow.

This week is shaping up to be good and bad. It's bad because the rest of the family is going to DW's house in LA through the New Year's weekend. It's good because the rest of the family is going to DW's parents' house in LA through the New Year's weekend. :o) Yes, I'm gonna miss them big time but I have a lot going on at work this week and I need to concentrate on my nutrition and my running. This is much easier to do by myself. So, a lonely week but hopefully a good week 1 of taper time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vic,
Orthopaedic relates to bones. So unless your ahem relates to a genuine bone, then it's a GP thing.

As far as your race day, I emplore you to carry water with you or access to water for the later water stops will be in the process of closing down by the time you get there. The Strider water stop at 21.5 starts to shut down at 11:45. I worked it in 2004 and witnessed it again in 2005, so I know.

It's a difficult race to complete with no water. It happened to me in Waco.

There is a water fountain on Memorial at the Starbucks across from Otto's, at Eleanor Tinsley Park, and next to the Sabine Street bridge at Allen Parkway, if you forget.

Better to be safe than dehydrated.


doug