Sunday, October 30, 2005

Humility

For those of you that may believe that bloggers are really self-absorbed braggers that just like to see their name in print, let me take this opportunity to totally humilate myself with a situation I'm going through.

Back in September I took interest in a volunteering opportunity providing CPR/AED support for HARRA sponsored races. I attended (and passed) the course and have signed up for a couple of races this fall. Now, here's the humiliating part. After the class was over and each of us were crowned with our certification cards, very nice, bright yellow t-shirts were issued. Well, the largest size available was XL which I pretended at the time would surely fit me. Well, I definitely need a 2X as the XL is way too tight. It's really embarrassing as I sure many would look at me as suggest that I may be the one who would need CPR.

If this story seems like a real downer, it's not at all. Actually, that XL t-shirt has been a real inspiration to me. It's currently sitting on my dresser and every few days I try it on to see how it's going. I can tell a little bit of difference from last month but I still have a long way to go. As extra incentive I went ahead and signed up for a couple of races coming up in November and December and I'm determined to get into that shirt. I'm gonna do it.

7 comments:

WalkSports.com said...

Vic,

You'll get there. I'm preaching to the choir, but it takes time.

My motivation is to get back into my size 36 dockers shorts that I was wearing in the spring.

Once I get back from NYC, I need to focus on situps and such (more on diet). I did 300 on Saturday, but those muscles are really .. ah .. I know that they are there!

You've been committed to do the things that you have so far and you have absolutely a couple of the best support systems in the world - the Striders and the Houston Running Bloggers!

Jon

Steve Bezner said...

I'll second Jon's comments! There was a time not too long ago, that nothing shy of 2XL and 3XL would work for me. Hang in there it takes time. Your doing great!

My advice sounds a little cliche, but take 1 day at a time and gather feedback each day.

Steve

Woodlands Runner said...

Which races are you planning to run?

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Yes you will.

Unknown said...

Holden,

I'm not running the races. I'm riding around on a bike and am prepared to provide CPR/AED in case someone needs it. I'm working the 25K on 13 Nov and the 30K in December

Woodlands Runner said...

Don't forget to say "Hi" at the HMSA 25K.

equarles said...

I remember the time I had to go up 2 pant sizes...at the time putting on a pair of pants that fit felt great. But after a few days, I was like "what the heck am I doing?" I worked it off and I'm glad I did. I used to always wear XL shirts, now some of the Large ones are too big on me.
It can be done.