Sunday, March 01, 2009

Could it be?

I've been wondering about my current shoes and if they're ready for retirement or just middle aged. According to my records, they just have 151 miles on them. HOWEVER... I purchased them back in July '08 and as far as time, I've probably logged twice as much time in these shoes as other runners with 150 miles.

I bought a new pair last Wednesday and just broke them in for the first time tonight for a little 1.6 mile recovery run/walk after yesterday's 10K. And it was unbelievable how much better these feel than the old shoes. So, although I reluctant to retire a pair of shoes with only 151 miles on them, I think I'm going to do just that.

I've heard it said that a shoe should last 300-500 miles. Well, I've come to the conclusion that while that may be a GENERAL guideline, there are a lot of factors that go into how long a shoe should be used before it's retired. For one, I think my weight puts exponentially more stress on a shoe. Being at 300+ pounds, I'm seriously "pounding" my knees, legs, ankles, and even my shoes a lot more than your average runner. Secondly, it just makes sense that if you just look at my pace, I'm spending a lot more time per mile in my shoe than your basic 8-10 minute miler. So, I might run a loop around Memorial Park in 45 or 50 minutes where it takes others half that time.

So, it's really not a big deal. I just think about stupid stuff like this while I'm running or sitting around the house, or playing taxi driver to 3 kids (this makes up the bulk of my life). I guess I've got a new pair of yard shoes.

2 comments:

AnnaBanana said...

Retire 'em!

My two new pairs were sitting in their boxes in the closet waiting until the current pairs hit 350 miles each.

The mileage was reached when I was doing a 1/2 marathon on Sunday and another on Saturday, so I decided to stay with the tried & true pairs.

That was a $605 mistake! My shins were screaming & I couldn't put weight on the left one. Thought it was a stress fracture, bone scan said shin splints.

And I always stress the importance of shoes to new runners - do as I say, not as I do.....

K said...

I find that at about 150 miles, I start to have more aches and pains, so I end up biting the bullet and getting a new pair. I'll wear the older pair for the shorter runs and the new pair for the long runs. Seems to be working for me right now!