Saturday, February 24, 2007

Get lost!!

When things get a little tough, when motivation is hard to come by, GET LOST!!! Well, that's what I did not long after my previous post below. I decided to do some stretching, put on my shoes, and just head out the front door to run. No plan, no goal. Just run!

I frankly didn't know if I was going to do 5 or 15 miles. I'm on call this weekend so I just took my beeper and my cell phone and took off. I ran through uncharted parts of Fairfield, often running into dead ends and having to backtrack. The weather was warm and my low mileage this week had me feeling good. I ran for about 3 miles and then decided I'd run to the Athletic Center for some weight training. Another mile and I arrived at the AC for some chest and shoulder work. After about 30 minutes of working out, I cooled off with a mile run back to the house.

I really had a blast today. It felt good to just run and it felt even better to not worry about how far I was from home or how long it was going to take me to get back. It's definitely a good feeling to know that I could run for 10, 11, 13+ miles, no problem. I remember the days when I'd be "afraid" to venture too far out for fear I'd struggle to make the return trip. The confidence I have feels good.

A little rest tomorrow and maybe a little yard work. Then, I plan to go long on Monday evening. If I count my planned long run on Monday with this week's miles, that still puts me at 26 miles for the week, 2 more than last week. I guess the point is that I'm not as far off track with my training as I thought. Steady as she goes!!!

9 comments:

J~Mom said...

See, that is why we call it "The Year of Vic".

L*I*S*A said...

Sometimes it's so great to get back to the roots of why we became runners.

IronWaddler said...

Sometimes quality is more important than quantity. The quality of how that run made you feel was amazing. Keep it up. You are so on track!

Emily said...

Glad to hear today was better!

Pat said...

I like getting lost. I like having no plan, other than a mileage or time plan. I like wandering around. Glad you had a great time.

Pat
Arizona, USA

Faithful Soles said...

Some of the best runs are those where there is no particular time or mileage involved. My "Story of the Week" on my main web site at Faithful Soles is entitled "Watch Out for a Good Time" where I tell about how when my watch broke and I started running without one, my times improved. I think it is right in line with what you are saying.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone found Vic yet...

Anonymous said...

I bet if I put out some street ice I can get Vic to come out of hiding. Vic, are you out there?SteveS

J~Mom said...

Hope all is well, Vic! Checking in on ya!