Saturday, April 11, 2009

The new splurge

I had to work in Humble yesterday which is not part of my "routine". Oh, by the way, I do much better on my eating choices when I stay in a routine, when I plan my entire day. One hiccup in a day's plan can usually throw me into some kind of tailspin or I avail myself of a deserved eating splurge (how sick is that?). So, on Friday at 3 pm I found myself completely out of my routine.

First of all, it was Friday, the end of a long week, the beginning the weekend. Secondly, I was juiced that I was getting out of work early. Also, I found myself on the other side of town and out of gas. I stopped at a Texaco to fill up and got that stupid, crazy, haunting desire to treat myself, to splurge. I went into the store to explore. I made my way to the candy isle. All my favorites were there. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Reese's Nutrageous, Reese's Fast Break, Whatchamacallit, Almond Joy,... Surprisingly, I looked at all my favorites and honestly, nothing really grabbed me. So I went over to the salty snacks. Cheetos, Fritos, Pringles, all the usual suspects but my brain and my stomach were ambivalent. I was drawn then to the more healthy choices, Almonds, sunflower seeds, and a plethora of "sports" bars on the next aisle. I checked some labels and these met my criteria but then something just clicked in my head, "Vic, you're really not that hungry?" So, I got a Diet Coke and took off.

What was worth noting about this episode is that I didn't go through this complicated thought process. There was really no "battle" to fight. It wasn't a big struggle. Yes, I had some thoughts about the week and how consistent I have been with my eating. I thought about the sub-310 mark that I am so close to. But more than any thought processed or strategies or anything else, it was just that nothing in that store appealed to me. So, I splurged on a Diet Coke. If people only knew the magnitude of past splurges at the gas, they'd know that this definitely marks a big change in behavior for me. So, diet sodas...THE NEW SPLURGE!!! It could be worse.

No comments: